Spiced Ginger & Orange Loaf - Autumn Baking
Discover the perfect teatime treat to see you through the colder months with our Spiced Ginger and Orange Loaf Cake Recipe.
Autumn Baking - Spiced Ginger and Orange Loaf Cake
Sticky, soft and oh so comforting, our spiced ginger and orange loaf recipe is the perfect teatime companion to see you through the colder months.
Left overnight, this ginger loaf cake develops a sticky exterior making it even more irresistible. Serve simply on the side with your favourite hot drink, or with custard for a cosy autumn pudding.
- 60g butter
- 135g golden syrup
- 100g plain flour
- 25g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 100g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 125ml milk
- 1 egg
- 2lb loaf tin
Makes: 1 loaf
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40-45 minutes
1. Preheat your oven to 170˚C/160˚C fan/Gas 3 and line the bottom of a loaf tin with greaseproof paper. Grease the sides.
2. Melt the butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Once melted, take off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
3. Add both flours, sugar, salt, bicarbonate of soda. Orange zest and the spices to a mixing bowl and mix until combined. Beat the egg and add it to the flour mixture along with the milk. Stir until smooth.
4. Gradually add the melted butter/syrup mixture and stir until well combined.
5. Pour the batter into the loaf tin, ensuring the mix is spread evenly in the tin.
6. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the loaf has risen and is firm to touch.
7. Allow to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
Enjoy this ginger loaf on its own or serve with warm custard.
Opt for an extra depth of flavour and switch out the golden syrup in the recipe for black treacle. You will still get the same sticky topping, but with a deeper treacle twist. Baking for someone who follows a gluten free diet? Simply swap the flour for a gluten free alternative.
Tried this recipe? Share your bakes with us and tag us on social media with @by_spode or #spode